Many citizens are not familiar with the intricacies of government agencies and their organizational structures. 311 can often relieve frustration with the efforts involved in obtaining information, reporting problems (potholes, traffic signal malfunctions, domestic animal issues, etc.), and obtaining needed services.
The Federal Communication Commission (FCC) authorized the use of 311 as an easy-to-use three-digit telephone number for local governments throughout the country to provide callers with access to non-emergency government information and services.
311 telephone systems are a viable option for non-emergency call management. They can also enhance community policing efforts by diverting non-emergency calls from 911 systems. Law enforcement officers would be able to have more time to engage in community policing activities and respond to citizens with true emergencies.
Various 311 contacts in Florida:
- Broward County - www.broward.org/CallCenter/Pages/Default.aspx
- Manatee County - www.mymanatee.org/departments/public_safety/citizens_action_center
- Miami-Dade County - www.miamidade.gov/global/311.page
- Orange County - www.orangecountyfl.net/Home/311Helpinfo.aspx
- Pensacola - www.cityofpensacola.com/290/Pensacola-311-Citizen-Support